Don Relyea's Blog
I like to write about interesting art projects,
so give me a heads up if you have new project
and I'll write about it.
Blog RSS Feed
Art RSS Feed
Music RSS Feed
Screensavers RSS Feed
Add my blog to your
Google home page
Walker Art Center
She Dreams in Digital
thinking about art
the generator blog
accuracy and aesthetics
Agendas Under Fire
Meret Oppenheim portrait
Ready Made Glitch
Slit Scan 3d Images
Slit Scan Photography
Space Filling Curve Art
Hair Particle Drawing
Arts and New Media
Sect of Homokaasu
MIT Media Lab
database of virtual art
Institute for Applied Autonomy
the Yes Men
Media Art Net
Electronic Arts Intermix
Generated tentacled eyeball monsters halloween 2009
Generated Monsters -- done in OF 0.06
I wrote a quick program to generate monsters for my kids this halloween. This is not a serious art project but fun for my family that turned into something cool enough to share.
It was done in c++ in openframeworks 0.06 using code blocks. You can download the source here (right click) and the textures here! I'm sure you can swap out different eyes and mouths for different looking monsters.
It uses a version the hair particle drawing class I wrote to do my hair drawings, I just swapped it out with opaque textures of eyeballs and mouths and placed the drawing origins in the lower right corner. I then copy the screen to a FBO Texture and draw that to screen flipped so the creature is both vertically and horizontally symmetrical and voila...a tentacled eyeball creature!
You can see all of these monsters at my flickr set "Generated tentacled eyeball monsters halloween 2009" there are over a hundred of them!
500x Open Show Theme: Landscape
"635 Commute" by Don Relyea
The 500x annual open show has moved from the end of the Spring season to Fall. This years theme is "Landscape". I always try to support 500x since it is the first place I showed anything a very long time ago.It is also a great place to try out new work and see what peoples reactions are at the opening.
This year I entered a piece titled "635 Commute" that uses two of my projects combined, my slit scan photography project and the good old reductionizer. I recorded several minutes of my commute to work and generated a slit scan image of the video, I then reduced it using the reductionizer and combined the images. The result is a 22 x17 photo print which looks fantastic. You can pick it up for cheap at the show.
There is still one more day to drop off art at 500x, they are taking stuff Tuesday night from 5-8pm as well.
Open Show Theme: Landscape
Exhibition Dates: October 10-31, 2009
Opening Reception: Saturday, October 10, 7-10pm Delivery Times: October 5 & 6, 5-8pm Pick-up: Sunday, November 1, 2009, 12-5 pm
All work in the Open Show must explore the image, presence, or idea of the landscape. Work in any media is accepted.
- $25 per entry -5 entries maximum
- Each piece must include name of artist(s), address, phone #, e-mail address, title of work, media, year of execution and sale price on the back.
- Payment may be made with credit card, check or cash.
- All work must be ready to hang-canvases, frames, etc. must have "D" rings or wire; unframed works on paper will be pinned to the wall unless other hanging systems are provided and prepared.
- All video, sound, and media work must come with equipment, and the artist is required to come during the installation time to set up the work.
- Work must not exceed 60" in any direction.
- 500X Gallery will retain a 30% commission on all sales.
- Work will remain on view until the show closes at 5pm on Saturday, October 31, 2009
- Exhibited works must be picked up Sunday, November 1, 2009, 12-5pm.
- Other information
- A storage fee of $50 will be charged for work that is not picked up on November 1, 2009. 500X Gallery carries no insurance and accepts no responsibility for work damaged while in storage. Stored work not picked up by Sunday, November 29 will become the property of 500X Gallery.